Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dinner

Today was such an adventure. So, here's the thing. I have never been to a Whole Foods and I have only been inside a Trader Joe's once, probably 10 years ago when I bought pancake mix as a gift. They always seemed kind of hippy-dippy over-priced hipster nonsense. Plus it is really far away! It took more than hour in travel time to get there. But I figured, at least for the next 40 days, it might be my best bet to find stuff to eat. Turns out there are whole categories of grocery shopping that I had never experienced. The Bulk Commodities section was new. I ignored the deli, butcher, seafood and juice bar. The produce section was fine, there was some stuff that you really can't find at Stop and Shop, but I am not sure it is stuff that I would ever really need. Like a giant Aloe Vera leaf. I am going to do what with this exactly? Although, peanut butter that is made while you hold the button and is only peanuts, dry roasted with nothing added? I dipped apple slices in it and it was the best part of my day.

So, dinner. I have to admit that I didn't have a plan, this is a surprise to nobody who has ever actually me me. I just started throwing stuff in a pan. Peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, vegetable broth (I confess here that this is the only item that is contraband because it has a little salt thrown in, but I was desperate), sprouts, and herbs and other stuff. I added a carton of crushed plain tomatoes and mixed the whole thing with whole wheat pasta. It was fine. I don't like cooked peppers. I try... but the texture ruins them. They are perfectly delicious raw. Morrighan was less than thrilled. But I am not starving and I have ton of fruit to eat later. Yay!

The annoying thing about Whole Foods is that I still have to go to S&S. There were somethings that are the exact same thing, brand and all, that were over priced at WF.

So to all of my healthy foodies out there which is better Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

ETA:
Morrighan has a counter-blog where she has set up shop to criticize the whole new food experience, aptly named Morrighan the Nightmare Queen

1 comment:

Sandy said...

So, whole foods , I think is overrated! It took me a while to find a grocery store with good produce, but it can be done. What do you need from whole foods that you can't get at S&S?
Trader Joes is great! I am lucky to have one 10 min away. I think they are actually reasonably priced, often cheaper than even regular items from S&S. And they make it a point to minimize bad for you ingredients. I will take a friendly smile and a hello any day from them, than the pissed off annoying check out ladies from the S&S any day! Lol. There are some real winners at the one by me. Passive aggressive, chips on shoulders, carrying over to the customers.
I am going to try to look over your food list and seeif I have any ideas for you.... Does the book you are following mention any recipe ideas or menu planning for you?
Oh, and coconuts... Do you like them? If you do go pick one up. They are loaded with healthy saturated fat that will fill you up and keep you full when you are hungry. Go pick up some coconut oil and you can cook with it... You can even have a spoonful to eat when you are having cravings or hungry.

Oh, and one more thing... I think you should read the books I recommended. They will change your world....